Flying Space A
Part 1 (read Part 2)
My active duty husband, our three kids, and I recently flew Space A from Dover Air Force Base, Delaware to Ramstein Air Force Base, Germany. This was our Amazing Adventure to Germany and Austria! One of my absolute favorite parts of this trip was flying Space A! I have put together some steps to help others be able to fly Space A.
What is “Space A?”
To fly “Space A” which stands for ‘Space Available’ is the civilian equivalent of flying standby.
The Air Force’s Air Mobility Command (AMC) allows military members and their families to fly on their aircraft during their routine flights to and from the United States and our overseas bases providing there is “Space Available.”
*Space A is FREE!!!*
Getting on a Space A Flight
You are ranked in priority two ways.
- 1st by what “Category” you fall into
- 2nd by the date that your leave began (date as it appears on your leave papers)
Space A Priority Categories
Space A has 6 “Categories” of Priority for their passengers.
- Cat. I: Emergency Leave
- Cat. II: Morale Leave
- Cat. III: Active Duty Member and Their Dependents
- Cat. IV: Dependents with a Deployed Active Duty Spouse
- Cat. V: Dependents with a Non-Deployed Active Duty Spouse
- Cat. VI: Retired Military Members and Their Dependents
It is a wealth of information!*
Getting on the Space A List
Steps to Flying Space A
- Send your leave papers to Air Mobility Command (AMC) that you want to try to fly out of and into.
- Use the AMC Passenger Terminal Facebook Pages to keep up –to-date on what flights are going out, how many seats are available, and what time the roll calls are for the AMC Passenger Terminal you are trying to fly out of.
- Make sure you have a copy of your leave papers, passports for yourself and all of your family, and TWO forms of photo ID (one being your military ID).
- Show up in person to the AMC Passenger Terminal and mark yourself “Present.”
- Wait for “Roll Call” to see if you made it onto the flight.
- Embark on one of the most amazing adventures of your life!!!